Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Oahu: Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail


Rainy morning. I dutifully spent the morning on a crash course of Hawaiian birds while James and I waited for Molly to be done with half a day of work before we head out to the Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail.

We drove to Makapu'u in torrential rain, hearts sinking with every minute of the horrible weather. I checked my weather app constantly for changes in weather. It said "Light rain", which made me question what their "heavy rain" might be. This rain looked like a pretty severe thunderstorm to me. We made several pit stops along the way to take in the sights along the coast, albeit a little cloudy. But no sooner than the downpour started, it stopped. By the time we hit the trails, the sun was out in full force. Of course, no one had the foresight to bring sunscreen. What? Sunscreen on a rainy day? Pfffttt. Very soon we had the sun beating down our backs. No whale action today, but lots of birds for my life list. Japanese white-eye, zebra doves, red-vented bulbuls, red crested cardinals.

 Molly pointed out the tide pools down below, which we couldn't get to because we all wore our Locals. Why on earth did I not bring my hiking shoes?! We found the lighthouse, which was inaccessible to the public, and looked out at the amazing view. Blue upon blue. As the sun continued to beat down on us, I actually got a little burnt on my shoulders, plus acquired some weird tan lines.

 Went to Kailua for some frozen yoghurt at this fun place called Yo Mama. Lychee seems to be the to go choice on this trip. I had the most amazing combination of lychee and mango yoghurt with gummy shark toppings. I thought it was very apt for this beach vacation. Hurried home so Molly can go back to work for an hour before we headed out again for some Korean BBQ dinner, and Karaoke with Molly's friends.

 Lesson learnt: when in doubt, apply sun screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment