Saturday, February 21, 2015

Nostalgia and reminisces

I am so jet lagged I have been sleeping almost all day everyday. Haven't really had the chance to go exploring in this new city I used to call home. It's strange to see buildings in places where once there were just empty lands. The last time I was back it was perhaps about 3 years ago. So much has changed. But I do appreciate the lush greenery all over the country. It is so green everywhere- you drive down the road and trees flank you on both sides, and even the medians on the roads are dotted with shrubbery and plants. It's right hand drive here in Singapore, so I'm doubly disoriented. I'm not going to try driving anytime soon. The last time I did, I turned into oncoming traffic. Not a good idea.

Going through a couple boxes of my stuff today. Mostly books which I'll be donating to the library. I found my old journals, one was labeled "Shanghai Inspirations", containing mostly drawings and sketches. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I loved sketching human figures and designing my own fashion line. But they're mostly whimsical, like what I think  fairies would wear. Not at all practical. I figured I wouldn't make much money selling those. Another was a travel journal I kept of my travels around China. Maybe one day when I run out of entries for this blog, I'll type them in here. It was interesting to read through them. I had cuttings of brochures and pictures and long hand written entries... Time before the iPad. Lots of good memories of Justin and I.

Also came across photos of my teaching days. I would take pictures of all my favorite kids in my classes and compiled them into albums. These were also days before Facebook or iPhotos... When pictures were developed into prints. Ah, the good old days.

I suspect next week will be a little more hectic. I'll try to be a tourist in my home country again, to seek out places to go and things to do. I really want to check out some exhibitions, visit the bird park, go swimming and hike some new trails, just to name a few... But right now, I'll catch up on my sleep yet again. Good night world.

No comments:

Post a Comment